Partnership Recognition Fund
Low-barrier funding for community groups working in partnership with UBC faculty, staff or students.
Amount: Up to $1,500 (min. $500)
Next deadline: TBA
Every day, people on and off-campus work together on joint initiatives that benefit both the community and the university. Engaged research, experiential learning, planning and policy development, educational programming, dialogue projects, workshops – our impact grows when we work together.
The Community Engagement Partnership Recognition Fund (PRF) is designed to help fill small resource gaps and acknowledge the contributions that community partners make to UBC. It also aims to raise awareness about the value of relationships and working together in a thoughtful way.
Who can apply?
Co-applicants that represent community partner(s) and current UBC faculty, staff or student(s) can apply. Funds go directly to community partners. A community partner must be a registered charity or qualified donee listed by Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Non-profit community partners who are not qualified CRA donees may still apply if their UBC co-applicant is able to receive and administer the funds on their behalf.
Partnerships must already be established and have a history of working together for at least one year.
The Partnership Recognition Fund is not able to support projects outside of Canada.
If you are not sure if you qualify please contact us (email@example.com).
Strong PRF applications will indicate how they intend to address the following objectives:
- Fill a resource gap that supports community to partner with UBC.
- Address an identified need of the community partner and/or the community they serve.
- Improve community access to UBC research, teaching and learning resources.
- Provide mutual benefit to both community and UBC partners.
To apply, submit an application that describes the project, the partnership, how funds will be used and when, and intended outcomes. It is important that the application bear the names and contact information for both a community and a UBC partner. Further information may be requested as needed.
- To help you prepare for the online application, a copy of the questions is available here.
- Do not submit this document as your application; you must use the online form.
How may funds be used?
The sponsorship is awarded to community partners to support their participation in activities that extend or enrich an existing partnership with UBC. PRF applications should indicate how they intend to achieve at least one of the following outcomes:
- Respond to the impacts of COVID-19 within the community partnership.
- Build or share skills through workshops, training, experiential learning, asset-based skill building, etc.
- Build or share knowledge through events, dialogues, engaged research, pop-up shops, toolkits, etc.
- Recognize or celebrate achievements through awards, debriefs, appreciation/evaluation, etc.
- Extend or deepen engagement through community mapping project, artistic or creative events, public forums, network formation, etc.
Funds can be used to cover costs that are integral to these activities. Some examples include:
- Subscriptions to virtual programs
- Transportation or delivery costs
Note that these are just examples, and we invite you to submit expenses that most meet the needs of your work at this time. Please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org and we’re happy to talk this through with you.
The following activities are outside the scope of this fund:
- Activities that are part of the core funding work of an organization (e.g. normal working operations, activities underway regardless of funding).
- Activities that do not include at least one off-campus and one on-campus partner (appropriate representatives are not identified)
- Kick-starting new partnerships
- Hiring UBC students
- Payment of salaries or wages
- Fees for UBC faculty, students, or staff to attend conferences, network events, etc.
- Expenses that include alcoholic beverages
- Projects that have been supported by PRF in the same funding year
- Funding that flows directly to an individual (PRF funds are intended to go to partner organizations)
- Projects outside of Canada
Funds will be provided in the form of a sponsorship. NEW For the September 2020 intake, we are continuing two options for low-barrier reporting requirements:
Option 1: Short Written Report
- A brief description of who was involved, what happened, what needs were filled or impacts made.
- OPTIONAL: Up to three “lessons learned” (brief bullets) for others involved in community university partnerships.
- OPTIONAL: Three pictures with captions that help tell the story of the partnership and/or project.
Option 2: Oral Report
- A short oral report over the phone with Zsuzsi Fodor, Engagement Strategist.
Recipients are asked to complete their chosen reporting option within one month of wrap up. We are flexible if you require longer than one month after completion to do your report.
Can I apply to the PRF more than once? We can fund each project or partnership once per fiscal year. If you are not sure if you qualify please contact us (email@example.com).
Does this fund include UBC Okanagan? Yes. Any UBC campus or site is eligible for the fund.
How many applications will be supported each month? This varies from year to year, depending on funding available.
When will we hear back? How long does it take to process an application? We encourage you to apply at least two months in advance of when you would like to use the funds. We aim to process applications within 4-5 weeks of each deadline.
Do you accept electronic signatures? Yes. The online application form requires an electronic signature.
Who/what is a community partner? A community partner is a registered charity or qualified donee listed by Canada Revenue Agency who has an existing relationship with UBC that have been in place for at least one year. If you are not sure if you qualify please contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Can funds be used for catering and/or alcoholic beverages? Funds cannot be used for alcoholic beverages. Funds can be used for catering that is integral to the project.
How long do we have to use the funds? You are asked to identify a project close date in your application form—this will determine how long you have to use the funds. In general, it is expected that funds will be used within six months of the project start date.
Can funds go directly to an individual? Or to a UBC faculty or unit? It is preferred that funds go to a community partner organization. If this is not feasible, please contact us to discuss alternate arrangements.
Can we use funds to hire a UBC student? The PRF cannot be used to hire a UBC student. Student placements with an employer or host organization require support to protect the rights and interests of both student and partner. Several UBC programs are devoted to providing those supports. Please contact us (email@example.com) to learn more.
How long does a relationship need to be in place for our group to apply to the PRF? The funds are intended to support existing relationships that have been in place for at least one year.
How do I receive funding? What information needs to be on the invoice? Do you have a sample invoice? As soon as you have received the approval notice, please submit an invoice to UBC Community Engagement (firstname.lastname@example.org). Each invoice should include the organization’s name, contact information and GST number, as well as the name of the project and the funding amount that was approved. We will provide a sample invoice for all PRF recipients as part of the approval package.
Submit a complete application form by midnight on the deadline to be considered for the next round. Past deadlines were on:
- June 5, 2020
- September 25, 2020
Still have questions? We’re here to help. Contact us at email@example.com.