Partnership Recognition Fund
Low-barrier funding for community groups working in partnership with UBC faculty, staff and students.
Amount: Up to $1,500 (min. $500)
Next deadline: January 29, 2021
Every day, people on and off-campus work together on joint initiatives that benefit both the community and the university. Engaged research, experiential learning, planning and policy development, educational programming, dialogue projects, workshops – our impact grows when we work together.
The Community Engagement Partnership Recognition Fund (PRF) is designed to help fill small resource gaps and acknowledge the work of community groups that partner with UBC.
***NEW*** This intake, we especially welcome applications for projects that advance equity and justice through reciprocal community engagement, and will dedicate the majority of funds for this purpose. We also continue to welcome applications from partnerships that have been impacted by COVID-19. All types of applications are still being accepted.
Who can apply?
Co-applicants that represent community partner(s) and current UBC faculty, staff or student(s) can apply. Funds go directly to community partners. The community partner must be a registered charity or qualified donee listed by Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
The funds are intended to support existing relationships that have been in place for at least one year. There is flexibility if the relationship is younger than a year. Contact us if that’s the case.
The Partnership Recognition Fund is not able to support projects outside of Canada.
If you are not sure if you qualify please contact us (email@example.com).
Strong PRF applications will indicate how they intend to address the following objectives:
- Advance reciprocal community engagement towards equity and justice.
- Fill a resource gap that supports the community group to partner with UBC.
- Address an identified need of the community partner and/or the communities they work with.
- Improve community access to UBC research, teaching and learning resources.
- Provide mutual benefit to both community and UBC partners.
How to Apply
To apply, submit an application that describes the project, the partnership, how funds will be used and when, and intended outcomes.
- Submit an online application here.
- To help you prepare for the online application, a copy of the questions is available here.
- Do not submit this document as your application; you must use the online form or request an oral application option (see below).
- **NEW** We are introducing the option of oral applications for the first time. If this option works better for you, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for an oral submission.
How may funds be used?
Funds go to the community partners to fill a resource gap in their partnership with UBC. Possible activities might include ones that:
- Respond to the impacts of COVID-19 within the community partnership.
- Build or share skills through workshops, training, experiential learning, asset-based skill building, etc.
- Build or share knowledge through events, dialogues, engaged research, toolkits, etc.
- Recognize or celebrate achievements through awards, debriefs, appreciation/evaluation, etc.
- Extend or deepen engagement through community mapping, artistic or creative events, public forums, network building, etc.
Funds can be used to cover costs that are integral to these activities. Some examples include:
- Subscriptions to virtual programs
- Transportation or delivery costs
Note that these are just examples, and we invite you to submit expenses that meet the needs of your work. Please contact us email@example.com and we’re happy to talk this through with you.
The following activities are outside the scope of this fund:
- Activities that do not include at least one off-campus and one on-campus partner
- Kick-starting new partnerships
- Hiring UBC students
- Payment of salaries or wages
- Fees for UBC faculty, students, or staff to attend conferences, events, etc.
- Expenses that include alcoholic beverages
- Projects that have been supported by PRF in the same funding year
- Funding that flows directly to an individual (PRF funds are intended to go to partner organizations)
- Projects outside of Canada
Sharing Project Learning and Accomplishments
Option 1: Short Written Submission
- A brief description of who was involved, what happened, what needs were filled or impacts made.
Option 2: Conversation
- A conversation with Zsuzsi Fodor, Engagement Strategist to share what happened and any learnings from the work together. This can be with both or either partner as appropriate.
Option 3: Your Choice
- Your project may already be creating documentation of what happened and the learnings through a report, research, event, video, etc. We would be happy to receive/participate in what you’re already creating as your end of project submission.
Partners are asked to complete their chosen option within one month of wrap up. We are flexible if you require longer than one month to share back.
Can I apply to the PRF more than once? We can fund each project or partnership once per fiscal year. If you are not sure if you qualify please contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Does this fund include UBC Okanagan? Yes. Any UBC campus or site is eligible for the fund.
How many applications will be supported each month? This varies from year to year, depending on funding available.
When will we hear back? How long does it take to process an application? We aim to process applications within 4-5 weeks of each deadline.
Do you accept electronic signatures? Yes. The online application form requires an electronic signature.
Who/what is a community partner? See “Who can apply?”
Can funds be used for catering and/or alcoholic beverages? Funds cannot be used for alcoholic beverages. Funds can be used for catering that is part of the project.
How long do we have to use the funds? In general, it is expected that funds will be used within six months of the project start date.
Can funds go directly to an individual? Or to a UBC faculty or unit? It is preferred that funds go to a community partner organization. If this is not feasible, please contact us to discuss alternate arrangements.
Can we use funds to hire a UBC student? The PRF cannot be used to hire a UBC student. Several UBC programs are devoted to providing those supports. Please contact us (email@example.com) to learn more.
How long does a relationship need to be in place for our group to apply to the PRF? The funds are intended to support existing relationships that have been in place for at least one year. There is flexibility if the relationship is younger than one year. Contact us if that is the case.
How do I receive funding? What information needs to be on the invoice? Do you have a sample invoice? As soon as you have received the approval notice, please submit an invoice to UBC Community Engagement (firstname.lastname@example.org). Each invoice should include the organization’s name, contact information and GST number, as well as the name of the project and the funding amount that was approved. We will provide a sample invoice for all PRF recipients as part of the approval package.
Submit a complete application form by midnight on the deadline to be considered for the next round. Past deadlines were on:
- June 5, 2020
- September 25, 2020
- January 29, 2021
Submit an Application:
Next deadline: January 29, 2021
The application is now an online form. To prepare your submission in advance, use this document. When you’re ready to apply, click the “Apply Now” button to access the online form.Apply Now
Get updates about PRF and other funding opportunities from UBC Community Engagement, including funding announcements, upcoming info sessions, deadlines and more.
Still have questions? We’re here to help. Contact us at email@example.com.