Community Engagement Partnership Recognition Fund
Every day, people on and off-campus work together on joint initiatives that benefit both the community and the university; engaged research, experiential learning, planning and policy development, educational programming, dialogue projects, workshops – our impact grows when we work together.
The Community Engagement Partnership Recognition Fund (PRF) is designed to help fill small resource gaps and acknowledge the contributions that community partners make to UBC. It also aims to raise awareness about the value of relationships and working together in a thoughtful way.
Submit an Application Form
We are currently accepting applications.
The next deadline is May 8, 2018!
Please download and complete the application form and return it to UBC Community Engagement.
Please read our FAQs below and email or call UBC Community Engagement for more information.
Please apply well in advance of when you would like to use the funds. Applicants can expect to hear within 4-5 weeks of the application deadline whether they are successful.Download the Form
Who can apply?
Co-applicants that represent both community partner(s) and current UBC faculty, staff or student(s) can apply. Application forms must be reviewed and signed by both UBC and community representatives. Partnerships must already be established and have a history of working together for at least 1 year.
Strong PRF applications will indicate how they intend to address the following objectives:
- Fill a resource gap that supports community to partner with UBC.
- Address an identified need of the community partner and/or the community they serve.
- Improve community access to UBC research, teaching and learning resources.
- Provide mutual benefit to both community and UBC partners.
To apply, submit an application that describes the project, the partnership, how funds will be used and when, and intended outcomes. It is important that the application bear the names, signatures and contact information for both a community and a UBC partner. Further information may be required of applicants and will be requested as needed.
- Save your completed application as a PDF using the following format: “Project Title – PRF (DD/MM/YYYY)”
- Send the application via email to UBC Community Engagement with the following subject line: PRF – Name of application – DD/MM/YYYY
- UBC Community Engagement will notify you that your application was received within 3 business days. If you do not hear from us, please contact us immediately to ensure your application is properly submitted.
What’s out of Scope?
Activity outside the scope of this fund includes:
- Activities that are part of the core funding work of an organization (e.g. normal working operations, activities underway regardless of funding).
- Activities that do not include at least 1 off-campus and 1 on-campus partner (appropriate representatives are not identified)
- Kick-starting new partnerships or projects (the PRF is not to be used as a seed fund)
- Hiring UBC students
- Payment of salaries or wages
- Fees for UBC faculty, students, or staff to attend conferences, network events, etc.
- Expenses that include alcoholic beverages
- Projects that have been supported by PRF in the same funding year
- Funding that flows directly to an individual (PRF funds are intended to go to partner organizations)
Can I apply to the PRF more than once? Yes, however we will not fund the same project or partnership more than once in 2017.
Will funds be available after March 2019? PRF is entering its second year, after a successful pilot year in 2017/18. While the current funding commitment is only for the coming year, we hope to continue the program beyond March 2019.
Does this fund include UBC Okanagan? Yes. Any UBC campus or site is eligible for the fund.
How many applications will be supported each month? Up to 5.
When will we hear back? How long does it take to process an application? We encourage you to apply at least a month in advance of when you would like to use the funds. We aim to process applications within 4-5 weeks of each deadline.
Do you accept electronic signatures? Yes.
Who/what is a community partner? A community partner is an individual or community-based organization that is not a part of an academic institution but who is working with UBC in some capacity.
Can funds be used for catering and/or alcoholic beverages? Funds cannot be used for alcoholic beverages. Funds can be used for catering that is integral to the project. If catering costs exceed half the total estimated cost, please contact us to discuss.
How long do we have to use the funds? You are asked to identify a project close date in your application form – this will determine how long you have to use the funds. In general, it is expected that funds will be used within 6 months of the project start date.
Can funds go directly to an individual? Or to a UBC faculty or unit? It is preferred that funds go to a community partner organization. If this is not feasible, please contact us to discuss alternate arrangements.
Can we use funds to hire a UBC student? Unfortunately, no. This is not a sustainable source of funding that could be relied on to fill structural or ongoing needs. Student placements with an employer or host organization require support to protect the rights and interests of both student and partner. Several UBC programs are devoted to providing those supports. Please contact us to learn more.
How long does a relationship need to be in place for our group to apply to the PRF? The funds are intended to support existing relationships that have been in place for at least one year.
What information needs to be on the invoice? Do you have a sample invoice? Each invoice should include the organization’s name, contact information and GST number, as well as the name of the project and the funding amount that was approved. We will provide a sample invoice for all PRF recipients as part of the approval package.
How does the fund work?
- A one time sponsorship of up to $1,500 to extend or deepen an established community-university partnership
- Funds go directly to community partners
- Applications will be reviewed and processed once a month
- Funds to go towards projects that benefit both community and university partners
- Monthly intake will be open until March 13, 2018
How may funds be used?
The sponsorship is awarded to community partners to support their participation in activities that extend or enrich an existing partnership with UBC. PRF applications should indicate how they intend to achieve at least one of the following outcomes:
- Build or share skills through workshops, training, experiential learning, asset-based skill building, etc.
- Build or share knowledge through events, dialogues, engaged research, pop-up shops, toolkits, etc.
- Recognize or celebrate achievements through awards, debriefs, appreciation/evaluation, etc.
- Extend or deepen engagement through community mapping project, artistic or creative events, public forums, network formation, etc.
Funds can be used to cover costs that are integral to these activities, including:
- Facility Rental
- Catering (no alcohol)
- Workshop Materials
- Publishing Costs
- Equipment (some restrictions apply)
- Participation/Attendance Fees (some restrictions apply)
What are the reporting requirements?
Funds will be provided in the form of a sponsorship. Sponsorship recipients will be asked to provide the following documentation that will be used as a resource to share with others:
- A brief description of who was involved, what happened, what needs were filled or impacts made.
- Up to three “lessons learned” (brief bullets) for others involved in community university partnerships.
- Three pictures with captions that help tell the story of the partnership and/or project.
Documentation may be submitted via email in written or video format. Recipients are asked to submit documentation within 1 month of wrap up.
This initiative is intended to further support community engagement and as such we will continuously enhance the criteria and invite your feedback or your thoughts.
Submit a complete your application form by midnight on the deadline to be considered for the next round. Upcoming deadlines are: